Tuesday, October 14, 2008

while you wait...

My friend Liz was a bit scared off by the blog format, but she is a reader you can trust so I've reprinted her suggestions to me (via email) for good reads. We aren't always attracted to the same books, but I've never been steered wrong when I DID pick up one of her suggestions.

From Liz: Great books I've read recently are Mudbound by Hillary Jordan, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski, and I'm now reading a delightful, unique novel newly published on this side of the Atlantic but which has been a best seller in Europe (came out there in 2006), The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (translated from the French)....a paperback original, at least over here.

Liz has been talking about the potato peel book for awhile and it's definitely on my list, but right now I'm in the middle of Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (finally! And more on that later, when I'm done). After that I definitely need to get out of the domestic fiction genre that I've been rolling through.

No comments: